Thursday, August 26, 2010

Getting a puppy/ Dog - Part 2

Last month I addressed getting a purebred dog and finding the right dog for you. This month, I want to talk about where to get your dog (or cat)

Or better, where should I not get my pup?
I see my worst specimens from pet stores and flea markets. These are also where impulse purchases happen and many times, the price is greatly inflated. I can't count the number of herediary defects and parasites come with these creatures.
The healthiest pets come from either casual breeders, family, and friends. I define casual breeders as an individual who has a dog which has a litter every few years. Fine purebred dogs can come from professional breeders, but think about what you want in a dog. Do you want to pay 500 to thousands for nice conformation or should you aim at a personality match.
Getting a dog from the shelter is a great idea, but I recommend to brouse online. Once you go to the shelter, it turns into an emotional decision.
There are numerous rescue societies now run by good hearted people. Your Veterinarian should have some numbers you can call.
Next month, I want to address which pup in the litter should I pick and how old of a puppy is right for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment